5 Ways You Know a Garage Door Spring is Broken
A garage door is a complex system and when something breaks you should leave it to the pros. That being said, you can certainly equip yourself to make an educated assessment of the cause of a broken garage door. One of the first things you should know how to diagnose is a broken garage door spring. Just remember these top 5 tips and you'll be on your way to determining if you've got a broken garage door spring.
- Is there a visible, 2 inch gap in the spring? If so, your garage door spring is likely broken. A garage door spring is commonly referenced as a torsion spring since it is tightly wound and holds a lot of pressure. The torsion spring should not have a gap.
- Is the garage door heavy? If your garage door won't open and you've tried to lift it manually, it may be very heavy. If so, the garage door spring is probably broken. The torsion spring assists with the weight of the door. When the spring is broken, the garage door is essentially dead weight.
- Does the garage door only lift a few inches? Again, the garage door spring assists with the heavy load of the garage door. If the spring is broken, the door will not lift easily. It may lift a little bit or not at all. If this is the case, the spring is likely broken.
- Are the cables on the side of the garage door loose? If the vertical cables on the side of the garage door have slack in them, the spring is not functioning properly. The spring helps keep tension in those cables. If those cables are loose, you likely have a broken garage door spring.
- Did you hear a really loud noise from the garage? If you are anywhere near a garage door when a torsion spring breaks, you will hear it. A spring will put off a loud 'bang' noise when it breaks. If you hear this noise and your garage door won't open, you've got a broken garage door spring.
Once you've determined that you have a broken garage door spring, the next step is to get it repaired. You should not attempt a torsion spring repair on your own. This is a dangerous job that only a garage door repair professional should perform. An experienced garage door repair company can get this job done for you pretty quickly. Call around and let the garage door repair company know you think your spring is broken. Reputable local garage door repair companies like Garage Door Guru will come check it out, give you a quote, and repair it for you safely and hassle free.